I love tie-dying so much! It's fun and I love wearing it after! I saw this video and love the designs they did! I recommend doing a Jamaican Party: dirty banana cocktails, tie-dying and allso you can add to the day by doing some Jamaican beef patties! (We make virgin banana daquiris for the kids.) A great day with friends and family so good and such a fun day!
Meat Pies/Beef Patties
- ▢4cupsall purpose flourplus more for dusting
- ▢1/2 - 2-teaspoonturmeric
- ▢1-tablespooncider vinegar.
- ▢1cupiced water
- ▢5 -ounceun-salted butter
JAMAICAN BEEF FILLING
- ▢½medium onion chopped
- ▢1teaspoongranulated garlic
- ▢1/2teaspoonall spice powder
- ▢1teaspoondried thyme
- ▢1teaspoonwhite pepper
- ▢3green onion chopped
- ▢2tablespoonchopped parsley
- ▢1/2teaspoonsalt or more
- ▢1/2teaspoonchili powder
- ▢1poundground beef
- ▢1/4cupbread crumbs
- ▢1/2scotch bonnet pepper choppedoptional
- ▢1-teaspoonchicken bouillon powderoptional replace with salt
- In a food processor or by hand, mix together, flour, salt, sugar, turmeric blend well Add the butter, shortening, followed by vinegar and water in small amounts, pulse until combined and dough holds together in a ball.
- Place the dough on a well -floured surface. Divide it into 2 and roll it out. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until ready to use
- Using a large mouth, glass or bowl about 4 - 5 " cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the meat pie dough. Continue cutting out dough until all dough has been cut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Make the Meat pie filling
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil to a saucepan, followed by onions, garlic, paprika, thyme curry, chili powder, white pepper, all spice and chicken bouillon . Let it simmer for about 2 minutes,
- Then, add ground meat, bread crumbs and continue cooking for about 10 or more minutes.stirring frequently to prevent burning, add about ½ cup of water .
- Finally add green onions and parsley, adjust for salt and pepper seasoning.
- Remove from stovetop and let it cool.
- Assembling Jamaican Meat pie
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of filling into each circle, and brush with egg white or white around half of the circle. Fold over twist with fingers gently to seal the edges of the meat pie.
- Another way of sealing is by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully place each pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes .
- you may freeze to bake later.
- Best served warm .
DIRTY BANANA RECIPE
1 ounce rum-based coffee liqueur
1 ounce rum cream
2 ounces milk
1/2 ounce simple syrup (a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 sugar that is simmered until sugar is dissolved)
1/2 banana, peeled and sliced
1 cup ice
Put it in the blender, mix it up and enjoy!